It's October, and it may be a balmy 16 Celsius out today but we’re excited about Baffin Winter Boots. Why? Because as much as we don’t want to admit it’s true, in about a month-and-a-half we’re going to need ‘em to fight off the cold winds and slushy snow of the Canadian winter. Ugh.
Forget for a minute that Baffin Boots are currently 25% Off. Look at what goes into making them some of the most technically capable boots on the planet: Their shiny removable liner.
The Founder of Baffin, Paul Hubner, grew up learning about traditional Inuit footwear from his father – who worked in the Arctic sourcing sealskin boots and other traditional Canadian Footwear. Paul learned that the Inuit boots ranged from two to five layers of warmth and protection depending on the temperature, and has modernized this approach to create the Baffin layer system in use today.
Just like the Inuit Boots – Baffin uses different layers to achieve different temperature ratings, but all of their removable liners include the following 5 layers:
- Next to your foot: A cushy Thermaplush lining. It’s soft, smooth, moisture wicking, and won’t pill!
- Polymech memory foam acts as insulation and provides custom comfort for your foot – that won’t pack down or lose its comfort over time!
- A Hydromax II layer wicks moisture away from the skin. This material is much like that that used in a baby's diaper – it really controls moisture, making sure dampness can’t steal warmth.
- The B-Tek 4-Channel hollow-fiber layer acts to move moisture and water vapor away from the Hydromax layer and the polymech foam keeping the liner (and your feet) dry.
- The shiny part: A vaporized aluminum membrane that reflects heat back to your foot. Extreme and Advanced Cold Baffin boots have two of these layers to maximize the use of your own body heat.
With all of this tech stuffed into your boot, your feet stay warm and dry, but the boots are not crazy heavy, nor do they all look like they belong on an arctic expedition! Most of them are at home on city streets and daily commutes.
We’re pretty excited about our Baffin line-up – and we hope we can make you just as excited - check them out on-line, or come in and try a pair on!